Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Internship in India 101

Now it has been 4 weeks since I have been doing my internship at Wizcraft International and honestly saying it has been an interesting ride. I started off pretty low, not getting much work. I used to work just 2-3 hours a day but stay at work for a good 10-12 hours. I suppose, I was being "trained" to get used to the environment, and get familiar with the company and its products.

Now that I am deemed familiar with the company, I am getting loads of work. I must say, thats a drastic change of duties for me. Just last week, I was sitting at my desk and making work for myself and today I find myself staying at work till I dont know when to make sure that the work is done. I guess its that time of the year when the awards are really near and these guys can use all the help they can get.

To describe exactly what I have been doing, for the past few weeks, can deemed "very interesting" kind of work. I have got down and dirty to get the job done. I have been doing literally everything from "office boy" kind of jobs like packing up sponsor material and transporting them personally in a tempo, to supervising people late at night (which is exactly what I am doing right now). I will give more details as I blog later.



Now, I want to describe how I have been experiencing the city. Although I have not been able to go around the city a lot, infact I have barely gone out of my office route. But from what I have seen of the city, everything is just messy. There are no traffic rules that are followed, the office doesnt really have any defined times, people are so casual, but somehow, everything works. That I must say is miraculous. In a city of about 18 million people, everything somehow falls into place and people go on with their lives.

Moving on the the food! My my the food in the city is a treat! I have become a huge fan of the roadside sandwiches. They are sooooo delicious! I wont recommend everyone trying it, but the food is pretty safe. I have been told that if the turnover of the roadside shop is good, they normally have fresh stuff. I was seriously surprised at that, turnover of a roadside sandwich shop! Now thats MBA knowledge working at the ground level!!! The restaurants, again not tried many, have good food as well, especially the Mughlai (I hope I spelled that right) dishes. And the best thing about restaurants here is that almost everyone will deliver to your home/office at no extra charge! I think the no extra charge is the best topping on the great food that they provide. Not only the restaurants, every shop on the nook and cranny will provide home delivery for even a bath soap (well thats an exaggeration). But that is product differentiation to an all new level. I guess it has attained the same level as the loyalty points in the aircraft industry, literally everyone offers it now.



So thats my experience in the city so far. I have taken a decent amount of pictures and a few videos of my fun ride, but unfortunately I dont have access to them right now, so I will edit my blog later tonight or tomorrow to upload those as well. Till next time!

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. My friend - They know your potential. You can be good for jsut 2 - 3 hrs per day and not more. Your productivity level is not good.

    Send me the pics of my city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you are making full use of your potential :P Get back to work and stop loafing around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved it!
    keep posting moreeee :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. IF one is looking to apply fresh out of college for say a trainee position, or a n internship could you point me in the right direction?

    ReplyDelete