Monday, May 3, 2010

Namaste from India

I have finally gone through one year of my MBA and landed in India to start my 12 week mandatory internship here. I have secured an internship as a management trainee at Wizcraft Entertainment International Pvt Ltd. I dont know what kind of duties I am going to be holding but I have some information about my peers. I know there are 2 interns coming from Germany, so that is something to look forward to. The company is also very well reputed and I am really looking to start working there in another 3-4 hours. Right now, I have nothing to do but to wait for the time.






Meanwhile, I have been going in and around Mumbai a little. I made a little trip to Pune, a city around a 100 Km from Mumbai. I went there to attend my sister's final fashion show. Needless to say I was amazed to see the collection that she finished. I had seen sketches of the dresses before and seen one picture from a photoshoot, but to witness the whole event was a totally different experience. It was amazing to see how these kids (all 21-22 years old) have managed to create such a collection.



After a day in Pune, it was back to Mumbai and needless to say the traffic on the streets and highway is going to put you in a panic mode if you are not a local. But all was not the same. I was pleased to see that some areas do have sensible driving. The Mumbai-Pune highway is one of the best in India and people actually follow lane driving on the highway. Sadly, the lane driving ends as soon as the highway ends. As soon as you enter back into the city, its back to good old honking and shouting. But I am still hopeful that one day the highway driving between Mumbai and Pune will reflect the driving across India.



Another thing I noticed in India was that everything is so much smaller as compared to North America. Be it the living space or the food you eat. Even though things are cheaper, you get lesser for your price. The apartments in Mumbai are very cramped, the parking spaces are so small, just enough to fit a car in, but not enough to keep your doors wide open, needless to say they have fit more than 18 million people in an area about the size of Toronto.

Overall, I am really looking forward to learning to live the Indian way. It will be challenging but at the same time, an experience of a lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy it while you can. I am really amazed at the fashion show. Nice work for your sister..

    ReplyDelete